While spring and summer are typically the best time of the year to enjoy salads, I just can’t help but enjoy this salad as long as I can get my hands on some fresh baby greens. It is so delicious! And so healthy! Learn how to make this tasty dressing and how to candy your own walnuts with healthy ingredients.
This salad tastes like spring in your mouth! I just love it! This recipe also includes a quick and easy way to “candy” walnuts. Walnuts are great for the brain, they can decrease inflammation in the body, and they can increase immune function. They are also used in Chinese medicine to “enrich sperm” and support the kidneys and adrenals.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 5 to 8 minutes | Yields: 4 servings
6 cups mixed baby greens
1 cup raw walnut halves
½ teaspoon sea salt
1/8 cup dark agave syrup
½ cup raspberries (fresh or frozen and thawed are fine)
2 to 3 tablespoons unrefined olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 to 2 tablespoons raspberry balsamic vinegar (if this is unavailable, just use regular balsamic)
Optional: 1 to 3 tablespoons agave or maple syrup (this will make the dressing less
tart if you prefer it that way)
1. Put the raspberries and vinegar in the blender and blend on high; add in the olive oil while the blender is on and let it blend another 30 seconds to one minute, until everything is smooth.
2. Put the clean greens either in mixing bowl or on separate serving plates.
3. Heat the walnuts in a small skillet over med/low heat. Stir every minute or so and
cook until toasted and fragrant, but not burned (5 or so minutes). Add salt and then
the agave syrup.
4. Stir the walnut mixture and then turn off the heat. Continue to stir until the nuts are “candied.”
5. Pour the dressing over the greens and then top with the walnuts. They are nice served
warm on top of the cool salad. Try this with sliced or grated apple. I have also
enjoyed this salad with a bit of feta cheese on top. Mmmmm!